Monday, January 3, 2011

If We are the Body

I was thinking today about the number of Christians in the world. There are over 2 BILLION people on this planet who will use the label of "Christian" as a descriptive word for themselves. 1/3 of the world's population. My question is why this number is only at 2 billion. Why isn't the number of Christians increasing in greater and greater quantities each day? We have 2 billion people who should be out there making disciples of all nations.

With this high of numbers, the Gospel could have been preached to all nations by now. There should be more believers. There should be fewer areas where Christians, or anybody for that matter, are persecuted and killed for their religious beliefs.

We should all have lost friends that need God's help. We should all be helping people realize that there is more to life than sin by preaching this and, more importantly, practicing what we preach. I don't even know how many times I've heard words like "mean" and "hypocrite" used to describe the Church as a whole. I know I'm guilty of being a hypocrite. I've been the pot calling the kettle black.

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? (Matthew 7:3)


We should all be leading others to Christ through our actions, not through our convicting words. Conviction is not our job. That job belongs to the Holy Spirit.


This is a reminder to all who read my blog, even if I'm the only person who ever sees this post.


Preach the Gospel through your actions, not just your deeds!! Actions speak louder than words. We need action, not empty words!! Show love, compassion. Pray that the Holy Spirit will give you these things. Pray for humility.


Most importantly, pray for change. In both yourself and in the world.




“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”

~ St. Francis of Assisi




2 comments:

  1. Hey Jared, I really enjoy this post but I have to disagree with one thing; the quote by St. Francis of Assisi. It is VERY necessary to use words. If we don't use our words to MATCH our actions and tell others where our actions of love are coming from they will think we are merely "really nice people".

    I wholeheartedly agree that our actions MUST reflect our beliefs, but without words we are only passively reflecting Christ when He calls us to ACTIVELY SEEK OUT the lost. In Matthew 28:16-20 where He gives the great commission Jesus says in verse 20 "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you" (ESV). Even in the song you posted the lyrics are "why aren't His words teaching?" We teach with our words and lead with our actions.

    I am very guilty of passively witnessing through using my actions to show love but not having enough courage to obey God's prompting to use my words to talk about Him (I guess that's why I'm so passionate about this subject). Just wanted to encourage you to also use your words to proclaim God's truth to people! God will give you the words to say and show you the right timing - just obey Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that. I know I'm really guilty of not using words when I have to.

    ReplyDelete